Thursday, September 24, 2009

Studio Ghibli

Studio Ghibli movies are classics! Just simply amazing.

I woke up this morning around after 11 and watched Spirited Away

If you haven't heard of Studio Ghibli, go wiki or google it up. It's pretty much shameful to not know about Studio Ghibli.

Anyway, this movie is about a young 10 year old girl named Chihiro who moves to another town with her parents. As her father takes a short-cut, they end up in a decommissioned amusement park - something that isn’t very unusual in Japan. It’s deserted, but yet there are food stands, and the parents gorge themselves despite Chihiro’s wish to go. Things begin to go really weird at this point: The parents turn into huge pigs (literally), and Chihiro is trapped in a weird fantasy land. She ends up in a bath house for gods, and has to work there while trying to save her parents and escape.

*credits to The World According To Nils for the shorter version of the summary.

This is one of my favourite among the Studio Ghibli productions. Other favourites are My Neighbour Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Grave of The fireflies and Howl's Moving Castle.
Spirited Away, is in a way, pretty much touching as the protagonist captures people's hearts with her sort-of-klutzy self and her not-giving-up attitude. I really admire this 10 year old character. I first watched this movie back when I was 10 I think. It was a really long time ago. But after watching it again and really understand the plot and stuff, it really touches me.

After that movie, I proceeded to watch Howl's Moving Castle.


This movie is about an 18 year old girl named Sophie who runs her late-father's hat shop. She's been turned into an old woman by a witch called Witch of The Waste. She then runs away and meet's a scarecrow that she calls Turnip Head. She then accommodates a walking, metal castle with a face (literally) and sets to try and reverse the curse set by the witch with Howl's help (indirectly) by falling in love with him and also along the way tries to break Howl's pact with Calcifer; the fire demon as well.

I was stunned by the beautifully detailed artwork in the movie. Truly incredible! I have to say, Howl is definitely a very handsome guy. He's actually quite vain but has a really kind heart. Watch the movie to know more! (:
I was really impressed by Sophie's attitude as well! There were some hilarious parts like a towel dropping from howl and onto the floor (SPOILER!)

I'd give 2 thumbs up to Both the movies and also to the others mentioned. There are more Studio Ghibli movies that I have not watched. I'm waiting for the opportunity to buy them and enjoy the humour, the moral of the story, stunning OSTs and beautiful artworks (:

ciao~

No comments: